Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: MY CROSS TO BEAR by Gregg Allman


"WAITING ON WEDNESDAY"
is hosted by Jill from

Join in and tell us . . .

What are you waiting for?

My pick for this week is . . .

-- book cover not yet released --

by Gregg Allman

Publisher:  HarperCollins
Imprint: William Morrow
On Sale:  5/1/2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 320
Ages: 18 & up
ISBN:  9780062112033

Description (from the publisher):
One of the most entertaining live bands ever to take the stage, the Allman Brothers Band defined the meaning of live rock and roll. But despite nearly a half-century of massive success, no one has ever told the inside story of the band and the brothers behind it.

For the first time, rock icon Gregg Allman tells the full, unflinching tale of his life on stage and off, from becoming rock royalty, to his string of failed marriages including his marriage to Cher, to his decades-long struggle with drugs and alcohol. In his unforgettable voice, Allman offers a vivid portrait of growing up with his brother, Duane, in the 1960s South, a place of uneasy racial and cultural transformation, where a new sound emerged—the sound of slide guitar comingling with keyboards and wailing vocals. The sound of the Allman Brothers.

Yet with success came tragedy, including Duane Allman and bassist Berry Oakley’s deaths, a year apart, in motorcycle accidents. For decades substance abuse plagued Gregg, and though he eventually overcame his demons, in 2010 he required a life-saving liver transplant. Gregg Allman opens up about these struggles and more, detailing the hardships, the personality clashes, and ultimately the joy that went into making some of the most electrifying rock and roll ever recorded. Documenting an era in which Southern music came alive, he holds nothing back in this essential volume eagerly awaited by every fan of good, old fashioned rock ‘n’ roll.




7 comments:

Zibilee said...

I am not a big fan of the Allmans, but I know someone who would love this book, so thanks for the heads up on this one!

bermudaonion said...

Oh, I hadn't heard of this book! I want to read it too!

Marie Cloutier said...

OMG Must Have! Love the Allman Brothers!

Annie said...

This looks fascinating!

Martha @ Hey, I want to read that said...

I hadn't heard of this book. I think I'm now waiting on it too.

Ann Summerville said...

Interesting.
Ann

Ryan said...

I. Must. Find. This. book! I didn't even know it existed until I came here. I'm a sucker for rock n' roll biographies and autobiographies.